TopBand: ZJ Beverage box and credit card security

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: ZJ Beverage box and credit card security
From: n3rr@erols.com (Bill Hider)
Date: Mon, 09 Dec 1996 00:10:15 -0800
C.T. Morton wrote:

> I have been trying to contact ZJ Electronics at the phone number listed
> on his web site but never get an answer nor answering machine. Tried
> about 5 times since Thanksgiving. Last week sent E-mail to ZJ requesting
> to buy his product but was reluctant to leave credit card info on
> message. Instead listed my 800 number and asked that he call and I would
> give credit card info. Still no respone. Anybody have any ideas if this
> guy still in business, sick, out of country, etc. Tnx
> 73 Tom
>
> --
> FAQ on WWW:               http://www.contesting.com/topband.html
> Submissions:              topband@contesting.com
> Administrative requests:  topband-REQUEST@contesting.com

My experience is that John will send your order out the next day if you
leave him your credit card number in the email message.  Alternatively,
if you send him a check or send your credit card number in a USPS letter
(snail mail) he will send your order out the same day as well.

If you are asking him a technical question via TELCO answering machine,
your odds of getting an answer are slim to none.  His business is so
strong (good) that he just doesn't have time.  That's why he put up the
web page.  However, I've had emails back from him in a day or two if the
question I have posed on email is unambiguous.
He's very much in business as far as I can tell.

I just don't understand the reluctance of people to send their credit
card number on the Internet.  People hand their card to
waiters/waitresses/clerks etc and they have all the capability to write
it down (after you leave the store) and use it.  A hacker has to
intercept it, in total, at the time it's being transmitted!
Additionally, you are only responsible for $50 of the fraud, if any at
all!  (As long as you call your credit card issuer within 48 hours once
you discover the fraud.)  At least that's the way mine works.  No flames
please, just my opinion.  You may have yours too, that's ok.

73!

Bill, N3RR