TopBand: Proximity to Trees

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Proximity to Trees
From: jherman@hawaii.edu (Jeffrey Herman)
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 1996 16:53:38 -1000
The military has done extensive studies regarding RF absorption
by foliage. 20 years ago while in Coast Guard Radioman school
I recall some instruction regarding this; my memory is a bit
dim but what stands out is that all antennas should be kept
clear of all growth, and don't depend heavily upon ground
wave propagation over forested areas.

If someone on the list lives near a military service school
specializing in radio comms I'm sure one of the instructors
there would be glad to share some info with you. In particular,
anyone near Petaluma CA could call the US Coast Guard Radioman
School.

73 from Hawaii,
Jeff KH2PZ (former USCG CW op at NMO)