TopBand: Bonding radials

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Bonding radials
From: n7cl@mmsi.com (Eric Gustafson)
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 1997 13:28:33 -0700
To: <topband@contesting.com>
>Date: Tue, 11 Feb 1997 22:46:06 -0800
>
>Has anyone used the "exothermic" process to bond their radial system
>together?  It is prefered over the usual soldered bond because solder will
>melt with the first lightning strike. Is there anyone who is familar with
>the process and can describe the tools and materials that are used. Also
>does anyone know of a good supplier or 2 who sells the tools and
>materials?
>
>Thanks,
>Joe AA6WG

The reason is _not_ that a soldered connection will melt due to heat
generated during a stroke.  It because the welded connections are the only
ones that can survive reliably underground for long periods due to
dissimilar metal reactions.  Above ground, clamped or soldered connections
are fine as long as the connection is a good one.  Not much heat is really
involved unless the connection has deteriorated so that there is a high
connection resistance.

Actually, there is now a pressure bonding system (made by Burndy) that is
claimed to be as good as the welded connections.  But I have no experience
with these yet.  The crimping tool for it costs about 2500 bux.

It sounds like you really do want to do this correctly.  Here is the
address for a source for the exothermic process materials.  Contact them
for process info and local distribution sources.  If you design your system
to make use of one size conductor (that needs welding due to being below
grade) and one class of connection, you should be able to get away for a
bit over $5 per weld.

ERICO Products Inc.  (Lightning Grounding Hardware & Welding Eqpt)
34600 Solon Road
Cleveland (Solon) Ohio 44139
(800)-248-9353
(216)-248-0100
      248-0723

 Barbara Gaskins
 Sales Correspondent
 Cadweld Electrical Div.

 Samuel B Barnes
 Regional Manager
 P.O. Box 3225
 Newport Beach, CA  92663

It has been a while since I contacted these people.  So the names may have
changed.  Good luck.  If you liked fireworks as a kid, you'll love this
stuff.

73, Eric  N7CL