TopBand: Bonding radials

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Bonding radials
From: n9dx@michiana.org (Larry Higgins)
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 1997 22:27:33 -0500 (EST)
>Has anyone used the "exothermic" process to bond their radial system together?
>It is prefered over the usual soldered bond because solder will melt with the
>first lightning strike. Is there anyone who is familar with the process and
>can describe the tools and materials that are used. Also does anyone know of a
>good supplier or 2 who sells the tools and materials?
>
>Thanks,
>Joe AA6WG

Joe, if exothermic welding is what I recall from 31 years ago, it's what we
used to bond the grounding system at a tropo station in Vietnam.  Pretty
good grounds were needed for 80-foot dish antennas on a mountaintop in a
lightning-prone area.  Thing is, I recall that we called it cadwelding,
which may be the same as exothermic welding.  I work as an electrician, and
the other day there was a discussion about grounding systems in which
someone mentioned cadwelding.  It is apparently the bonding method of
choice.  It welds the copper conductors together.

You can probably get info and materials from any large electrical supply
house, since they are supplying it to electrical contractors for large
grounding systems.  Another source might be your local electric company.
Many electric utilities will sell supplies, and all would certainly have
anything you might need for grounding or bonding.  Try contacting their
supply warehouse people.

73

Larry
N9DX