TopBand: 160M Contests

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: 160M Contests
From: dfi@cyberhighway.net (Scott Cowling)
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 1997 03:33:26 -0500 (EST)
OK, OK.  I can't stand it any more!  Me, myself and I, all three being supreme
net-lurkers, can keep still no more.  In the spirit of friendly discussion, I
wish to agree with some points and disagree with some points made in previous
posts.  Any flames may be sent to me directly; I take full responsibility for
any of my opinions expressed below.

First, I must agree with Carl - this is the place to discuss this.  This is
not to my knowledge the "160M contest reflector", the "160M DXer's reflector",
the "160M technical topics reflector", etc, etc.  It is the "160M reflector".
If people have high connect charges and do not wish to participate, then
perhaps we need these specialized reflectors to meet their needs.  In lieu of
these additional reflectors, perhaps someone could volunteer to screen the
posts for ZS8IR, XV7SW et al and send them only the messages that meet their
criteria. I am sorry to see DX ops like these unsubscribe, but I don't think
it is appropriate to "cripple" discussion because a few ops "might not be
interested".

On the other hand, I do not think inflammatory comments regarding the
administrator's exercise of his prerogatives (such as Herr Administrator, etc)
have any place in a post to the list.  The list admin's job is hard enough
as it is; he is donating his time to maintain this list that makes these
discussions possible.  I don't agree with him in this case, but HE RUNS THE
LIST.  If you can't follow his directions, start up your own list with your
own resources and on your own time. Then do it the way YOU want to - after all,
it will be your own list :-)

I have limited time to read posts; I only subscribe to 3 lists (two don't
have much traffic).  This is my favorite.  I want to see it thrive and
foster great discussions.  So on to the REAL topic at hand. This is too long
already.

I have to disagree with Carl on the elimination of 160M contests (SSB or
otherwise).  I don't understand this "fragile band" reasoning.  I heard lots
of stations on in the SSB test, some good ops, some not so good.  I listened
again on Monday night, and there wasn't one single frequency that was worn
out!  They were just EMPTY. The DX season in this hemisphere is what, Dec thru
Mar?  Four months.  Thirteen weeks.  Ninety-one nights.  Two weekends of CW and
one of SSB.  Six nights.  Maybe some QRM on the all-band DX test weekends.
23% of weekend days. 7% of total days. C'mon you DXer's, can't you share?  You
ops whose country totals are around topband's wavelength: how many of those
countries did you work in one of these contests?  When I tuned in for my first
160M test, I was amazed!  Look at all those SIGNALS!!!!  WOW!  It's loads of
fun.  One more point to ponder.  I don't remember this kind of complaint after
the CW test.  Is that just because the QRM level was lower?  Or has my memory
gone the way of 6M?  Why can't we be tolerant?  There is plenty to go around,
and after all, it is the BEST band, right?

As far as the disqualification of W2GD goes, I was going to comment,
but I think it is inappropriate material for the reflector.

Carl, I just want to add that I read all of your posts and am generally
impressed with what you have to say as being well thought out and to the
point.  I felt I had to disagree with you on a few things, though.  Got
my fire-proof suit on, let 'er rip!

73, best DX es GL in the contest!

comments/accolades/disagreements to:  Scotty, WA2DFI, dfi@cyberhighway.net
flames, inflammatory remarks to: Homer J Bitbucket at the same address.