TopBand: Skewed propagation, TX RX angles

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Skewed propagation, TX RX angles
From: btippett@CTC.Net (Bill Tippett)
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 1997 22:44:57 -0500 (EST)
        I've been quiet on this topic because I could write volumes
on it if I really got started!  Let me just summarize by stating
that I worked Europe MUCH more frequently from Colorado peaking
on my 70 degree Beverage than my 40 degree Beverage which was
the true Great Circle bearing from there.  Under VERY severe
geomagnetic conditions (K index = 6), signals would even peak on my
110 degree Beverage!  Skew is quite common when the target area
is close to Magnetic North (13 degrees from Colorado), so stations
in the midwest and western states should see skewing toward Europe
quite frequently.

        From here on the east coast, the same happens on paths to
the Far East since Magnetic North from here is 355 degrees.  Signals
from JA quite frequently skew to the south during geomagnetic
disturbances.  I never saw skew from Colorado to JA since the JA
bearing (315 degrees from CO) was nowhere close to Magnetic North (13
degrees).

                                        73,  Bill  W4ZV