TopBand: Skewed propagation, TX RX angles

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Skewed propagation, TX RX angles
From: w8jitom@postoffice.worldnet.att.net (w8jitom@postoffice.worldnet.att.net)
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 1997 08:58:36 +0000
> From:          Bill Tippett <btippett@CTC.Net>

>         From here on the east coast, the same happens on paths to
> the Far East since Magnetic North from here is 355 degrees.  Signals
> from JA quite frequently skew to the south during geomagnetic
> disturbances.  I never saw skew from Colorado to JA since the JA
> bearing (315 degrees from CO) was nowhere close to Magnetic North (13
> degrees).

Same observations here Bill.

When the signal is near the geomagnetic pole, the path often skews
30 or so degrees. In Ohio, I noticed that with VS6DO morning after
morning. VU, JT1 and others were that way also.

Never, in almost 30 years of 160 DXing, have I observed Eu or
Africa signals skewing.

>From Georgia the JA's are always NW and signals are there morning
after morning, but from Ohio they used to peak short and often be
more west than north west.

73, Tom W8JI