Topband: KH6CC is 80 Today (12/30/99)

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: KH6CC is 80 Today (12/30/99)
From: dz@VOA.GOV (Richard Zwirko)
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 1999 09:36:28 -0500 (EST)
I had the pleasure of working Jack, KH6CC the Topband beacon of the
Pacific at 0450Z on his birthday, 12/30/99. One of Jack's birthday
presents was his working 6W6JX. I also worked Jean, who had is usual FB
sig into MD. 6W6JX seemed to be having fun working to the west. Europe
was well represented on the band this morning. The farthest station
to the east worked was UU4JMG. At my sunrise ZL4WA was heard calling JA's.

Although we are near the top of the solar cycle there is still much DX to
be worked on the Top Band, even with low power. Managed to snag FO0EEN
on 12/28 after a marginal QSO the previous day. Thought it was country
#176 until I realized that I had worked FO0XUU in the Australs in Feb.99.
Anybody get his 160M QSL yet?   So, barring any new ones in the next 24
hours, K1HTV ends the century with 175 countries in 32 zones with 100
Watts.

Hope the year 2000 brings much DX into my fellow Topbanders' log books.

dz@VOA.GOV