Topband: 160 Meter Propagation

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: 160 Meter Propagation
From: v31jp@logical123.net (v31jp@logical123.net)
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2001 05:25:02 +0000
Tom Rauch wrote:

> With that in mind, how do we know it is propagation and not noise
> levels that make low latitude stations "alligators"?

One thing I have noticed, Tom, is in the Caribbean, I've had
noisey nights and quiet nights. Chatting with ops at the other
end, I've asked if, when I didn't hear someone, was the band
noisey at their end. Often the rely was, "dead quiet." I remember
on VP5 group I asked about that when I was up north. They were
having a very noisey night, it was quiet here. It appears the
noise was propagating to me and making it hard to hear, but for
folks up north, the noise wasn't making it up to them at times.

Those little storms in the Caribbean can sure raise havoc on
the lower bands. I am sure it's probably the same way around
the equator. These storm cells seem to be more east or west,
so maybe they are too far away for the northern lats to hear
them, but close enough for the tropic station. And I hate
being an alligator, maybe a croc from Belize would be OK.
Dang, I know it warm down there now, too!

73 de K8 Joe "Palooka" & Beverly