Topband: 160 Meter Propagation

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: 160 Meter Propagation
From: btippett@alum.mit.edu (Bill Tippett)
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2001 12:17:34 +0000
K6SE wrote:

>Then it must be the auroral zone that's the big thing for you and me to
>EU, regardless of what any charts show.  The JA path to EU doesn't even
>come close to the auroral zone.

        It IS the auroral zone and the charts DO show it.  Using a program
called DXAID, the signal from Phoenix to London clearly goes smack through
the middle of the auroral zone calculated for an assumed K-index of only
2 (about equivalent to A-index of 10).  Looking at the map, it appears only
extreme southern Europe (EA, IT9, etc) is not blocked.  For higher K-indices,
it gets worse as the auroral zone moves farther south.

        DXAID is a very useful program...it calculates a great circle map
for any QTH and will superimpose the solar greyline for any time or date.
You can also superimpose the auroral zone for any value of the K-index.
I find it very useful and it is not very expensive.  I have version 4.5
and it cost US $25, CDN $30 or UK L15 when I bought it several years ago.
It is available from Peter Oldfield, 251 Chemin Beaulne, Piedmont, Quebec,
J0R 1K0 (those "0"'s are zeroes), Canada.  Peter's E-mail address was
poldfield@funcow.com the last time I contacted him.  I have no interest
in the program except as a very satisfied user.

        Larry, I'll just remind you I operated from Colorado for 9 years
before moving back to my home state of NC.  I am very familiar with your
frustration and Colorado is even more removed from both oceans than where
you are.  There will still be plenty of good openings to Europe, but you
have to catch them under low absorption conditions.  This means low K
numbers, low flux (bottom of sunspot cycle), winter (December/January), etc.
Persevere and you will work plenty of Europeans...I think I had all but
maybe a dozen EU countries before I left Colorado so it is possible.

                                                73,  Bill  W4ZV