Topband: Re: DX Pileup Practices

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Re: DX Pileup Practices
From: zl3ix@inet.net.nz (Greg - ZL3IX)
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2002 09:21:37 +1300
> I've never seen the reason to operate "split frequency" unless the
country's
> band plan does not allow a station to operate on a desired frequency used
by
> another country.  To this end, for the life of me, I see no reason for a
DX
> station to transmit on one frequency, listen on another and have a bunch
of
> folks that didn't hear the frequency change transmission clutter up the
band
> calling blindly on 2 or 3 different frequencies.

You really amaze me with this statement, Bob.  A large percentage of the
recent expeditions would have been completely unworkable for me, on any
band, let alone Topband, if there had been no split operation, eg FO0AAA
from ZS5, PW0T from ZL.  These two, to name but a couple, had very weak
signals, and there is NO WAY they would ever have been heard from my QTH
without running split.

As for cluttering up the band, I reckon that occupancy away from the pileup
is usually less than when the pileup is there, as a high proportion of the
ops want to work the DX.

73, Greg, ZL3IX (ex ZS5K)