Topband: Reactance problem

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Reactance problem
From: sire@iinet.net.au (Steve Ireland)
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 02:51:15 +0000
At 12:52 PM 13/03/2002 -0500, you wrote:

VK6VZ replied:

G'day

My Autek RF-1 suffers in a similar manner from BC-pickup - in this case
from a 100kW BC station some 20km away.

When I put up my Marconi-T with a 66' vertical section, the impedance at
the base measured at the base was waay off from what I expected.  I simply
connected my Amidon multi-tap Unun in circuit, using the tap that most
nearly coincided with what the theoretical impedance should be and, hey
presto, everything looked great and just needed to trim a metre or so off
the antenna to put it on 1830 with a 1:1 SWR.

The MFJ and Autek are great instruments, but 160m does cause them a few
problems.

Vy 73,

Steve, VK6VZ

I think this answer is the only one that makes any sense.  I have the same