Topband: Reactance problem

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Reactance problem
From: W2pm@aol.com (W2pm@aol.com)
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 06:26:23 EST
Another possible "issue" with the MFJ259B I found (but did not contribute to
accuracy)was not so untypical fit and finish issues with MFJ product quality.
This is not a flame on them but my objective observation as my shack can be a
sales demo room for MFJ. I found two significant solder blobs - one loose
looking for a place to land and the other tenously held onto the PC board by a
tiny piece of flux. I also saw a solder splash on one of the small air wound
coils. After removing the obvious 1st two solder blobs Ileft the splash on the
coil alone and did some readings. I then removed the splash from the coil and
rechecked the same readings and they did not change.  My point is any one of
those solder blobs could have caused some unplanned or intermittent performance
problem.