Topband: Lightning and Beverages

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Lightning and Beverages
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 07:48:48 -0400
> Every summer I go out and inspect these terminating resistors of my
> three beverages and they are always gone - blown to bits.  There is no
> sign of carbon, just wire leads hanging there. They must get a lot of
> induction when lightning strikes the area.

Use a reasonably close-spaced spark gap across the resistors (making
absolutely sure you use composition resistors of course). Same at the
transformer end.

One simple way to do that at the resistor is to solder a shorting
wire across each resistor. After the resistor is in place, snip the
shorting wire with cutters so there is a slight sharp gap. 73, Tom
W8JI
W8JI@contesting.com