Topband: Geomagnetic absorption of horizontally polarized antenna signal

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Geomagnetic absorption of horizontally polarized antenna signals?
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 07:48:49 -0400
> I wonder if anyone can offer opinions on the advantages that
> vertically polarized antennas have over horizontals on 160M related to
> geomagnetic Earth absortion?

I think the biggest problem for an absolute answer is a lack of
reliable verification data. Very few amateurs have enough room to
install a textbook perfect vertical, let alone a horizontal at a few
hundred feet.

All that aside, everything I have read from propagation experts
indicates the polarization effects of ionospheric absorption are
small compared to potential changes in antenna field strength at
different radiation angles. We have a human tendency, however, to
assume that trends somehow indicate repeatable absolute results.

To further complicate matters, we almost always compare one less-than-
perfect antenna to another less-than-perfect antenna. The antennas
are almost always electrically and physically so close to each other
and other structures, feedlines, and antennas we have no idea what is
actually radiating. (In many circumstances antennas interact
noticeably with even a wavelength of separation, so you can imagine
the coupling at .1wl or less spacing.)

The saving grace is at propagation peaks virtually any antenna will
work pretty well, even a low dipole. The "peaks" we often experience
near sunrise or sunset tend to equal things out.73, Tom W8JI
W8JI@contesting.com