Topband: Magnetic Slot Antenna

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Magnetic Slot Antenna
From: sire@iinet.net.au (Steve Ireland)
Date: Sat, 13 Jul 2002 08:27:03 +0800
W2SH wrote:
At 11:13 PM 11/07/2002 EDT, you wrote:
>Has anyone on this list ever done one of these, or seriously pondered such
an
>antenna?  I've looked through most of the list's archives and have not found
>any references to it.
>
>The description on which I am currently focused appears on page 18 of the
>ARRL's Antenna Compendium, Volume 4, "The Double Magnetic Slot Antenna for
80
>Meters" by Lew Gordon, K4VX.  (Earlier references are to K5RP's "Magnetic
>Radiators--Low Profile Paired Verticals for HF" which appears on page 39 of
>ARRL's Antenna Compendium, Volume 2, and a pair of articles by Boyer,
>published in 73 Magazine for August and September 1976).

VK6VZ replied:

G'day Charles and all

A couple of years ago, I read the K5RP article in the ARRL Antenna
Compendium Vol. 2, with keen interest.  After discussing this antenna with
my friend Phil VK6APH, our conclusion was the antenna was very interesting,
but could easily be simplified for much easier construction with the same
performance.  Also - it is really a variant of the full-wave loop antenna,
but in rectangular form.

The antenna is, as I think you have surmised, effectively a pair of short
top-loaded verticals, with virtually uniform current distribution.
Virtually no current flows in the long top wires and the presence of a
second loop in the K5RP design merely serves an impedance matching
function, as a second turn on the antenna. The pattern of the antenna, as
you would expect, is oval/broadside, with some small gain (3dB isotropic)
in this direction, with some attenuation off the ends.

This low-aspect or rectangular kind of single-turn full-wave loop was used
very successfully by a 5N2 station on 160m some years ago (5N2EKM?), fed
with 50 ohm coax half-way up one vertical side and his design is featured
in one of the editions of ON4UN's low-band DXing book.  Been looking for
the piece this morning and can't find it, but I know it is there...

Get yourself a copy of the National Contest Journal, January/February 1999
and have a look at the modelling article carried out by LB Cebik W4RNL on
page 16 - 20 to see some more possibilities of this single-turn rectangular
loop antenna. Also, take a look at N3HBX's practical implementation in the
NCJ March/April 2000.

Unfortunately, the dimensions of my half acre QTH are just too small to
support using this antenna, but it is in the folder marked 'really good
ideas to try' when I move to larger place one day.  I think it would be a
real 'killer', particularly when over a decent ground screen.

Vy 73,

Steve, VK6VZ