Topband: RE: Omni VI+ A/B Test results

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: RE: Omni VI+ A/B Test results
From: W4EF at dellroy.com (Michael Tope)
Date: Tue Jun 24 21:43:19 2003
> Yes, I did.  Copy of the weak signal could not be improved at a DSP BW of
> 100 Hz when changing between the 250, 500, 1000 Hz and wider xtal
> filters.
>
> At 100 Hz BW regardless of the xtal filter selected, the Orion's NR was
> ineffective.

Interesting observations, Earl. Sounds like the problem
with the Orion isn't group delay in the analog IF filters,
but rather some other problem. Maybe it has something
to do with the linearity of the detector and audio stages
as Tom, W8JI suggested. Hopefully someone like Scott
W4PA is reading your posts on the TT reflector and
is getting the message that they still have some work
to do. It would be a shame if the radio is a complete dud
that can't be fixed as the IMD/BDR and phase noise
numbers on it looked so good compared to everything
else out there.