Re: Topband: Fw: 25G insulators

To: Earl W Cunningham <k6se@juno.com>, topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Fw: 25G insulators
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2003 08:02:42 -0400
At 08:20 PM 8/29/03 -0700, Earl W Cunningham wrote:
3) Because the tower is grounded, a lightning strike is conducted
directly to ground, thus eliminating damage to anything (my tower in
Houston was hit many times with absolutely no ill effects.  One of my
towers here in the desert was hit about 20 years ago with no damage
whatsoever).

I read Tom and Earl's messages with interest and a degree of confusion. Last week, I took a hit on my grounded, shunt-fed Rohn 25 tower, which supports all my other antennas as well. Two rotators, a Stackmatch relay box and a remote antenna switch box all appear to have been fried by the hit. Some of this is inference from ohmmeter readings, because I have not yet been up to take the various items down, inspect the cabling, and so on, but motor windings and relay coils appear to be open, and rotator position pots the same. Isn't it reasonable to assume that any time a tower, whether grounded or not, takes a direct strike, it is likely that destructive voltages will be induced in any conductors on the tower?

73, Pete N4ZR The World HF Contest Station Database was updated August 4. 123 stations were added or updated. Are you current? www.pvrc.org/wcsd/wcsdsearch.htm