Re:Topband: Receiving Loops

To: "k7rx" <k7rx@comcast.net>
Subject: Re:Topband: Receiving Loops
From: "i4jmy@iol.it" <i4jmy@iol.it>
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2003 00:21:41 +0100
Kevin,

think about detuning your 160m transmitting antenna when receiving, this is the
first step.
Then, if the problem is still clearance, you can try with a simple loop antenna
in the following way.
(I'd say a good loop is not less than 7' in diameter, if made of aluminium
tubing, some couple of inch diameter will give you enough signal not to need
any preamp.)
Carefully rotate the loop to have a notch with the transmitting antenna, whose
thing will happen with the loop (the plane of the loop) normal (or nearly
normal) with the transmitting antenna. It will correspond to the point where
the received noise is minimized while turning. Better if you do it in daylight.
Note that loop pattern has two notches at zero elevation, perfect for local
noise killing.
At useful angle its pattern is not much directional, so you won't lose so much
with a fixed loop.

73 & HNY

Mauri I4JMY