Re:Topband: To Balun or not to Balun that is the question.

To: "k4kyv" <k4kyv@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re:Topband: To Balun or not to Balun that is the question.
From: "i4jmy@iol.it" <i4jmy@iol.it>
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2003 15:31:38 +0100
Unless a small reduction of RF energy fixed the problem, for example lowering
the voltage just under a semiconductor threshold, hardly those 6 turns works
like an effective choke at 7 Mhz.
Only chance is when parasitic capacitance of the coil skyrokets reactance
because resonance of the coil goes very close to the used frequency. In such a
case the coil made of cable acts as a trap, beeing this the method to choke
efficiently at a voltage node.
More probably you fixed the problem altering the cable lenght, or by collapsing
the line in the coil, or by legnhtening the coax for adding the 6 turns choke.

73 & HNY
Mauri I4JMY