Re: Topband: Receivers, Noise Blankers and Key Clicks

To: "Brad Rehm" <brehm@ptitest.com>,"Michael Tope" <W4EF@dellroy.com>, <jimjarvis@ieee.org>,<topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Receivers, Noise Blankers and Key Clicks
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2004 11:39:43 -0500
Some 1000MP transmitters hiss a lot more than others.

I think there was something on this reflector about proper alignment a year
or so ago. I believe a K7 had a rig back to Yaesu a few times, and then
figured out how to align it himself and posted the method here.

So there MAY be a beef with some MP's and phase noise. But 100dB is pretty
good! The largest DR I need here is about 80-90dB, and it takes an
exceptional signal to require that much. I find the first hop from moderate
distances like W4ZV, AA1K, and W8LRL (300-700 miles) to be much more
problematic than stuff ten miles from me.

The 80-90dB requirement is probably why I don't notice a bit of change
between the Orion and the modified FT1000D with band crud on receive, but
why receivers in the 70-80dB range are almost useless in contests. I would
expect transmitters to be the same. If the crud is down 80dB or more, it
doesn't bother me a bit even though my receiver  noise is limited totally by
stuff that propagates in.

I sure can hear SSB transmitters with -30dB IM3 a long ways off! When guys
get on 1838-1840 SSB with some of the poorer SSB IM rigs they have "fuzzy
stuff" that sticks down to 1833 or lower!

73, Tom W8JI