Re: Topband: Bev directions, accidental xmit

To: Dave NØRQ <n0rq-1@dfwair.net>,<topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Bev directions, accidental xmit
From: "K9AY" <k9ay@k9ay.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 16:30:49 -0600
Dave

1)  A Beverage NNW (e.g. 320 deg.) from Texas would be useful for JA and
other Far East DX locations, and for W7, VE6/7 and Alaska in ragchew or
contest situations.

2) The AY Technologies TRX-9 is adapted from a 50-watt power amplifier
transformer design, so it will handle 100W for a short time.  There is a
surge protector on the antenna side with an 85V breakdown rating -- it will
conduct with anything above 10 watts or so, which will short out the
transformer. Hopefully, this will send your rig into high VSWR shutdown
before any real damage occurs. With luck, it might even protect the
terminating resistor.

Disclaimer: Despite these "probable" results, there is no guarantee, etc.
etc.

73, Gary
K9AY
AY Technologies