Re: Topband: Loop for RX

To: "Osten B Magnusson" <sm5dqc@areteadsl.se>,<topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Loop for RX
From: "K9AY" <k9ay@k9ay.com>
Date: Fri, 7 May 2004 14:42:42 -0500
Osten,

There are many variable factors that affect receiving antennas. At one past
QTH, there was so much local noise that nothing helped -- I tried a coaxial
loop and a EWE with no improvement over my shunt-fed tower with lots of
attenuation. As your friend suggests, it is important to get the signals
down to where the receiver AGC is not triggered on weak signals. There is a
note on this subject on my web site: www.aytechnologies.com (it was in NCJ,
too).

More recently, I have been at QTHs with only a few noise sources. At such
reatively quiet locations, a EWE, Flag, Pennant or K9AY Loop can be a big
improvement over the transmitting antenna most of the time. These antennas
have different pattern characteristics and mechanical construction that
needs to be understood when choosing one to try.

I recommend that you try one of the simplest, such as a Flag or Pennant, to
get an idea whether it is an improvement. You may then wish to implement a
rotatable model (or perhaps a switchable K9AY Loop).

Finally -- if you can manage to "borrow" 300-350 feet of adjoining property
for a short Beverage in an important direction, it will almost certainly be
worth the effort!

73, Gary
K9AY