Re: Topband: Loop for RX

To: "Osten B Magnusson" <sm5dqc@areteadsl.se>
Subject: Re: Topband: Loop for RX
From: Steve Lawrence <smlx@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 8 May 2004 15:30:03 -0700
At my QTH, the coaxial loop has worked wonders on both 160 and 80. A preamp is a must. I also use an RF limiter to protect the transceiver RX only input during TX. Setting aside the cost of the preamp, limiter and small TV rotator, the coax loop is very inexpensive and easy to build. Without the RX loop, a Q with JT1CO and several EU stations would simply not have been possible. S9 noise goes to S5. The front to side response is very pronounced. The loop is up about 20 feet and about the same distance from my shunt fed tower.

It's worth a try. At least it's worked for me.

73, Steve WB6RSE - Los Angeles