Re: Topband: radial layout and pattern skew

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: radial layout and pattern skew
From: Earl W Cunningham <k6se@juno.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Sep 2004 19:14:37 -0700
Tom, W8JI wrote:

"The common Eznec programs use NEC-2 engines, and there is considerable
question about accuracy of models with conductors near earth."
==========
In a comparison test I did a year or so ago, the results of EZNEC3 and
EZNEC4 (which uses the NEC-4 engine and can model in-ground radials) were
compared.  In EZNEC3, the radials were modeled slightly above ground and
in the NEC-4 program, they were modeled on (in contact with) the ground.
I was surprised at how closely the two programs agreed on patterns and
gain of the same antenna.

In EZNEC3, the high accuracy Sommerfield-Norton ground model was used and
in the program with the NEC-4 engine (modeling was done by the editor of
the ARRL Antenna Book, Dean Straw, N6BV), the high accuracy ground model
was used.

Therefore, if EZNEC3 (which uses the NEC-2 engine) was inaccurate, then
so was the program that used the NEC-4 engine.

73, de Earl, K6SE