RE: Topband: TOP HAT GUY WIRES

To: magoo@isp.ca, topband@contesting.com
Subject: RE: Topband: TOP HAT GUY WIRES
From: "Donald Chester" <k4kyv@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 2004 06:18:06 +0000

... did you
take any special precautions in attaching to the mast/tower for good
electrical conductivity?

I installed lengths of tinned braid under the guy wire clamps, and attached
these to the tower with burndy connectors, but have discovered some evidence
that the braid/guy wire connections have begun to break down after just a
couple of years. I'm not sure if it is arcing (seems impossible with the
mechanical nature of the connection) or galvanic, but the connections are
not like they were when installed even though protected from the elements.

I cannot use copper wire for these tophat/guy wires as the load would be too
great in the wind/ice conditions we sometimes encounter at this QTH.
"Aircraft cable" was the only choice possible.

Make sure you do not have any galvanised metal in contact with copper. I suspect your tinned braid is made of copper covered with a thin layer of tin or nickle plating, and your guy wires are galvanised steel. When zinc contacts copper, and water is present, you have a miniature battery and the connection immediately begins to deteriorate due to galvanic action of the metals.

I found that out the hard way years ago when I made an open wire feedline out of copper wire, but used galvanised steel wire to secure the feed lines to the spreader insulators. It worked very well for a few days, but after the first rain, I had terrible TVI. Upon inspection, the galvanised wire that was wrapped around the copper was heavily corroded. The tie-wires at each insulator reacted with the copper and each junction became a diode rectifier. I took down the feedline and replaced the galvanised wire, which I happened to have on hand when I built the antenna, with copperweld of similar gauge, and never had any recurrence of the problem.

My present tower is hot-dip galvanised, and I have open wire line spaced inside the tower up to the antenna. I found that rainwater dripping down the copper feedline contained enough copper to react with the zinc galvanising on the bottom of the tower and turn it green, so I had to fabricate a couple of drainage tubes out of automotive water hose to direct the drip away from any metal on the tower.

If you attach copper tophat to a galvanised mast, use brass connectors. Brass won't react with either metal and makes a good intermediate agent between the two metals. Ground clamps are made of brass specifically for that reason.

Don K4KYV