Topband: Re-Thinking My Antennas...

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Re-Thinking My Antennas...
From: "Ed Swynar" <gswynar@durham.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 07:44:19 -0500
Well, yesterday afternoon I fired-up my homebrew pair of 813's for the first
time in probably a year---the Top Band DX bug has bitten me again, I'm afraid...

Anyway, I heard an honest-to-goodness 5-8/9-9 G3FTQ working the States---no
dice, despite my repeated calls. Then, a bit later up the band, HA9RT was
calling CQ & QRZ---again, no dice. How frustrating! The icing on the cake was
VE3AT working BOTH stations, with NO apparent problems...

I was using my north-south "inverted V" grounded half loop antenna. I may have
to re-configure this thing to the "old reliable", i.e. a simple inverted
L...but the dog gone half loop is SO QUIET for reception! The S-meter was hard
left the whole night, until the DX stations came into the passband of the
IC-751A...

SIGH! All that work & wire, & so little the results!

~73~ Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ