Re: Topband: 160m noise

To: BobK8IA@aol.com, topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: 160m noise
From: Earl W Cunningham <k6se@juno.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2004 12:26:21 -0800
Bob, K9IA wrote:

"Tnx for the advice Earl. I never gave that a thought since my K9AY loops
are the furthest away (from the shack) of any antenna on my property
(only 1 acre). I'll give the choke balun at antenna a go and  the Corcom
filters at pwr supply a go as well. Tnx agn."
I had the same problem (noise from the computer's or monitor's switching
P.S.), when I erected a couple of test Pennants before writing the
article.  The noise could not be heard on my other antennas.  I coiled up
a bunch of turns of the coax into a choke balun at the Pennant's
feedpoint and voila!  That solved the problem.

Pennants, Flags, EWEs and K9AYs all are very low gain types of antennas,
so any little signal picked up by the coax becomes much more significant,
making the use of a choke balun almost mandatory.

73, de Earl, K6SE