Re: Topband: 160m noise

To: Sinisa Hristov <shristov@ptt.yu>, jmaass@columbus.rr.com,topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: 160m noise
From: Ronald Gorski <R.Gorski@Astronautics.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 08:45:12 -0600
The most effective method, that I have tried, for minimizing common mode current on coax braid is to wind the coax in a single layer solenoid of sufficient inductance such that a common size variable capacitor (attached to the coax braid at both ends of the coil) can tune the coil to resonance. I first used this technique to eliminate 80m common mode interference to a TV receiver. I wound approximately 15 turns of coax near the receiver input and attached a small broadcast variable to the braid at both ends of the coil. As the capacitor was tuned through resonance, the interference went from severe to zero.
Ron N9AU
At 08:03 PM 11/10/04 -0500, Sinisa Hristov wrote:
Jeff Maass wrote:

>       So, who has *practical* advice of how to apply a choke
>       for flag/pennant antennas? I've been winding 15-20 turns
>       of RG8X in an FT240-77 core.

With high imepdance antennas one needs much better chokes than with 50-Ohm antennas. I would recommend winding RG174 (or even smaller coax) on FT240-43. You must wind enough turns to position the parallel resonance of the choke near 1.8 MHz. You may need several attempts to get to the right design.

Winding it without measuring it is pretty useless.
I've described the method of measurement in another
message on this reflector few minutes ago.

73,

Sinisa  YT1NT, VE3EA