Re: Topband: 160m noise

To: BobK8IA@aol.com, k9ay@k9ay.com, topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: 160m noise
From: W2pm@aol.com
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2004 22:54:51 EST
In a message dated 11/9/04 12:39:04 PM Eastern Standard Time, BobK8IA@aol.com
writes:

> Oh, comment on this if you could. The placement of the loops, because of a
> pool and other things in the backyard, had to be over where two of my 160m
> Inverted L radials (on the gnd, not buried) travel. Could this be another
> problem?
> I only have 16 radials on the L right now. Coupling problem? The horizontal
> portion of the L is, about, 60' from the closest loop.

I have found my elevated radials to be a major noise source for  nearly the
entire 1/4 wave length...   I had to place my NE Pennant on the other side of
the radial with its null to the counterpoise to mitigate it... aside from an
occassion problem in very dry windy wx on the power lines out back, the largest
noise for me (aside from local crud all over the place in this suburban dense
neighborhood) is the raised radials.. Not sure if the on ground radials you
have would not be noisy as well as my guess is they are fairly insulated from
the ground itself because of vegetation, etc. Prob a lot better than the raised
tho...