RE: Topband: FT-240-77 Toroid Impedance R + jX Components

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: Topband: FT-240-77 Toroid Impedance R + jX Components
From: "Chuck Hutton" <charlesh3@msn.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2004 14:10:47 -0800
Mike:

When I compare your plots to those from Fair-Rite (
http://www.fair-rite.com/fr_catalog-14thed_rev3.pdf , page 173, Figure 4),
the difference is quite notable. Fair-Rite shows that the impedance for a 73
(not a 77 like you measured, but not too different either) has no peak
around 2 MHz and their transformer primary impedance goes up with frequency
over the range you measured. Your charts show a decrease in impedance as
frequency increases.

I've seen a peak like yours when sweeping cores, but can't reconcile the
Fair-Rite charts with that. I think their chart doesn't mean what I think it
means. Can you explain?

Chuck