Re: Topband: Re: Increasing bandwidth 160m L

To: "TopBand List" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Re: Increasing bandwidth 160m L
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2004 13:21:21 -0600
On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 11:59:00 -0500, darruzza@adelphia.net wrote:

>I wish to cover the entire band, without utilizing any tuning
>networks.

What is your aversion to networks?  I find that a good L-section
tuner will cover all or most of the band with minimal retuning. I
use one of the TenTec KW tuners, and have replaced all the fixed
capacitors with the highest voltage rated parts I could find. It
works quite well with an antenna system similar to yours. The LDG
tuners are L-sections, and I think the Ameritron is too (did W8JI
design it?). The Drake tuners are not L-sections, and tune much more
sharply.

See http://audiosystemsgroup.com/K9YC/k9yc160TopLoad.htm

Jim Brown K9YC