Re: Topband: "Is your feedline also an antenna?"

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: "Is your feedline also an antenna?"
From: Larry Gadallah <lgadallah@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2005 13:33:33 -0700
I find this question very interesting. I've found ON4UN's comments on
minimizing common-mode signal leakage, and a number of others (notably
John Doty and John Bryant) all advocate the same approach towards
sanitizing an unbalanced coax feedline connected to an unbalanced wire
antenna (i.e. Beverage, Inverted L, Random, etc.).

Where I run out of helpful advice is how to deal with my shack. It's
on the second floor, and not near an outside ground. Generally my
feedline (about 40m)  and random wire produce much better S/N ratios
than my G5RV.

What I'd like to know is how to deal with an elevated shack like mine.
I get similar results to Mac with respect to receiving signals off the
shield, but I'm not surprised since a good 10-15 m of the feedline is
up in the air.

I wonder what Tom means by bad connectors or cable. How can these be diagnosed?

Larry Gadallah, VE6VQ/W7
lgadallah AT gmail DOT com