Re: Topband: "Is your feedline also an antenna?"

To: "MW Comercial" <mw_comercial@wp.pl>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: "Is your feedline also an antenna?"
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 11:42:17 -0400
> There is one more point I'd like to have clear: some
people say that in this
> kind of switching, all antennas that are not in use should
be shorted to the
> ground. What do you think about it?

Another bad rumor. Shorting unused ports to ground almost
always guarantees maximum cross coupling in a switching
matrix.

Someplace between an open and short will be minimal
coupling. The exact value varies with your switching layout.

By the way, you could have a contaminated shield on your
outside cable from water ingress. I only bury cables with
flooding compound inside that are designed for burial.

73 Tom