Re: Topband: "Is your feedline also an antenna?"

To: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>,"MW Comercial" <mw_comercial@wp.pl>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: "Is your feedline also an antenna?"
From: "Milt Jensen" <n5ia@zia-connection.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 10:37:21 -0700
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>

> You also could use an air core choke of coaxial cable, but it
> would have to be perhaps 30-50 feet of coax.
>
> 73 Tom

My experience is, this method is the simplest AND most effective.  My
problems have not been with AM broadcast but with noise sources associated
with multi-service communications sites.

Simply winding 30 turns at ~6" diameter of the feedline, both at the antenna
and at the shack end, TOTALLY blocks the ingress of the broadband noise.  I
typically use double shielded RG-59 and/or RG-6 CATV drop cable for all but
the LONGEST runs.

For those, the 1/2" solid sheath CATV distribution cable is both inexpensive
AND very low loss.  I make the choke coils with RG-59, and as one continuous
unit with the flexible leads needed to connect to equipment on both ends.

Milt, N5IA