Re: Topband: CQ WW Contest

Subject: Re: Topband: CQ WW Contest
From: N1BUG <paul@n1bug.net>
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2005 17:31:19 -0500
lew wrote:
> Interesting phenomena during my sunsets during the CQWW-SSB on the West
> Coast. I could hear 4-5 Euro stations peaking best about 1 hour after my
> sunset Q4 to Q5. If they had been on CW I felt I probably could have
> worked them, but not even a QRZ? on fone. Is this usual propagation or
> simply stations running hi goo without better RX capabilities?  I was
> hearing these Euros and East Coast stations I queried at the time said
> that they didn't hear them.

It is often very difficult to work EU during the SSB contests even
from here in the northeast. Many EU's who were S9+ this weekend
could not be worked. I think it's more a question of QRM/splatter
over there than propagation. I usually don't do much during the SSB
contests for that reason. Even here you have to be a BIG gun to be
heard. Many of the same EU's are easily workable on SSB when there
isn't a major contest on.

Paul N1BUG
(Maine)