Re: Topband: Technology Qso's

To: "Top Band Reflector" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Technology Qso's
From: "Ward Silver" <hwardsil@centurytel.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 08:32:10 -0800
Bob VK3ZL wrote....
"Claiming DXCC CW using computer generated Morse Code TX-RX would have to be
the ultimate fraud."

Being a troublemaker here...what else is new?

Speaking as a CW operator whose hearing was never good, not getting better,
and likely to functionally vanish before cochlear implants become Costco
items, I am beginning to take an active interest in the digital modes,
including digital copy of CW.  Let us say that I get sufficiently interested
to develop my own DSP software that can pull five-minute-opening-CW out of
the Top Band fog. Would my using such a program constitute fraud? What if I
write software that can watch a waterfall display and pull out CW?  What is
the magnitude of the difference between doing it "between the headphones"
and being able to describe it well enough for a machine to do it?

73, Ward N0AX