Topband: technology qso's

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: technology qso's
From: "Jim Jarvis" <jimjarvis@verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 19:42:40 -0500
I hate to prolong this thread, but it may have value.

Jim, KR1S made the following points:

> George and Larry W7IUV have a point.  But many of us operate 160M (and
VHF)
> because of the challenge. If the bar to achieving awards is lowered too
far,
> the DX becomes too easy to work, then for me - perhaps time to find
another
> hobby.

We set our own standards for what constitutes a valid QSO (within the rules
and regs) and we know what we have accomplished. We don't have to quit just
because others are claiming credit for QSOs they couldn't have made by our
standards. We know what we did, and so do they. Maybe we're anachronists,
but who cares? Just enjoy the satisfaction of setting and working toward
your own goals, and the heck with what anyone else thinks, says or does!
Never Say Die.
-0-

I would argue that only with continual technological change and improvement
to we make progress.  If that doesn't fit our sense of fairness in the
games we've created under past technologies...make new rules and new
games.  Good grief, people....I race sailboats, but it's antique
propulsion around navigational buoys....it's sport, nothing more.
Just a game, making a hole in the water, soon filled.

If technology lowers the bar....change the rules and raise it again!
If we can't do that...why the hell are we here?

In my case, I a)haven't applied for dxcc but have it 160-10,  b)don't
keep qsl cards, and c)log qso's in a computer.  Nice to see what I've been
doing...but I wouldn't lose sleep if the hard drive crashed.  Maybe the
only QSL card I'm keeping is the one from Navassa, since it's not likely to
be repeated in my lifetime.

n2ea