Re: Topband: Dirty Harry and the DX window

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Dirty Harry and the DX window
From: topband-bounces@contesting.com (by way of Bill Tippett<btippett@alum.mit.edu>)
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 07:53:02 -0500
From: "Mauri" <i4jmy@iol.it>
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 11:54:47 +0100

We all know that if You want to absolutely win a Contest (a pure
nonsense in my opinion) You have to move where
geographical/propagation conditions maximize scores, obtaining the
best benefit by contest rule/scoring.
Moving to such a location generally scrambles up real skills (as
operator) and hides station gaps.
Moreover, I always asked to me if a so called good operators with
little or no knowledge (interest) in how to arrange a competitive
radio station is really an Ham, and which sort of fun is to operate
from someone else station without having made any work in erecting it
and learned nothing from the job.
Are contest created to award talented push buttons with good ears?
I don't think so....
There is not a leveled playing field in any contest, 20 meters
included, if the competition area is big like a continent or a world.
There is instead a reasonable leveled playing field if the
competition is restricted into limited areas, i.e. a State.
Here I don't see anything bad if the combination of more efficient
setup and best skill dominates, moreover considering that defined
categories could level the field easily.
To place (score) much more a long distance qso against a short
distance is a good idea, but setting out from the game who is not
able to work over 3000 miles or out of continent for most of the time
does not appear a good solution, unless the goal is to prevent
participation and to make the game boring, likewise to contact the
same few guys each time.

73,
Mauri I4JMY