Topband: Electric fences

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Electric fences
From: Charles Bibb <zedkay@bellsouth.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2005 12:12:25 -0600
Hi, All

Need a little info (and maybe some help) on QRM/RFI caused by electric
fences.  I know many of you have this problem and may have been able to
solve RX difficulties caused by them

First, what does electric fence RFI noise sound like?  Here, I have a
pulsing noise source (external to my house) when the band is quiet.  It
sounds like pulses of static or white noise.  Pulse duration is about 0.3
sec and the interval between the leading edge of the pulses is just about 1
sec.  I thought it might be a blinking digital clock (maybe on a VCR) in
need of being set, but I have no close neighbors, and after killing power
to everything in the house except the rig, it is still present.

Second, how far away can electric fence noise be heard.  I live on the
outer edge of a small town, and I've scoped out every place I can think of
where animals might be penned, but find no electrified fences.  Perhaps I
am not looking far enough away?

Any help would be appreciated.

Charles - K5ZK