Re: Topband: Electric fences

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Electric fences
From: "Steve Flood" <flood@ixi.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2005 18:49:17 -0700
From: "Charles Bibb"

> First, what does electric fence RFI noise sound like?

I have to deal with e-fences constantly Charles.  There are no less than 9
fenced pastures/paddocks within a mile of my house (at last count).
Yesterday afternoon I think I may have spotted another.  A foggy or rainy
night here on 160m is a cacophany of clicks and buzzes of various periods
and magnitude.  All the ones I hear are between 0.7 and 1.3 seconds.

> Second, how far away can electric fence noise be heard.

The worst offender I had was about .25 second buzzing at S9+20 that wiped me
out.  I had an old shielded loop for 80m attached to homebrew receiver, and
a 120 mhz Moxon on my AM airband handheld and went hunting.  The fence was
1.2 miles from my house - and I could hear the arcing and snapping from 30
feet away by ear.  Fortunately the owner was open-minded and accomodating
and we got it properly grounded and insulated.

Good luck,
Steve KK7UV