Re: Topband: elevated radials

To: <Cqtestk4xs@aol.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: elevated radials
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2006 11:29:40 -0400
>I am not an expert on radials but a very nice piece
>appeared on elevated
> guys appeared in the NCJ about a year ago.  The gist of
> the article was  four
> elevated radials over average ground at 65 feet played
> just about the same  as a
> 60 radial buried system.  I don't have the particulars and
> my NCJs are  packed
> away for moving, but it was part of a three part series
> that made
> interesting reading.

We can find all sorts of articles based on models.

The only A-B comparisons I'm aware of where only radials
were changed are mine and N7CL's.

There are some FS measurements at WVNJ, but since that is a
directional array they might be the subject of some
scrutiny.

After two tests on 80 at two locations and a test here on 40
meters, the claim four elevated radials can only be equaled
by 60-120 buried radials is wrong.

Also Hams tend to think in terms of too many radials. Things
get really flat after 50 radials.

The most surprising thing I learned is how little base
impedance actually means when guessing efficiency.

73 Tom