Re: Topband: elevated radials

To: "Ford Peterson" <ford@cmgate.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: elevated radials
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2006 21:08:14 -0400
Tom, heretofore, a buried radial system under 1/4wL vertical
was evaluated based on how close the actual impedance was to
the 36 ohm R of the classic monopole.  If I understand your
last comment correctly, you indicate that the R value fails
to predict field strength?  Can you describe what you mean?
Or better yet, what you are observing?  Possibly more
importantly, how you measured it?>>

Any time I've measured base impedance it has been with a
calibrated piece of equipment right at the antenna.

I've seen cases in the past where base impedance hung around
the same value while FS increased with more radials, and
other cases where a ground that provided a low impedance
wasn't as good as one that provided higher impedance. Based
on that,  base impedance even on a simple 1/4 wl monopole
isn't always a reliable indicator of efficiency.

If you want to know field strength change it is best to
measure field strength, and not something else.

73 Tom