Re: Topband: elevated radials

To: <Cqtestk4xs@aol.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: elevated radials
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <w4tv@subich.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2006 11:37:09 -0400
Bill writes:

> The gist of the article was  four elevated radials over average
> ground at 65 feet played just about the same as a 60 radial buried
> system.  I don't have the particulars and my

That's about right for an 80 meter system.

The N7CL work that N4HY and N2EA reference indicates that elevating
the "ground plane" 1/4 wave above ground gets the coupling into the
soil down to insignificant levels (3/8 wave to immeasurable).  At
heights approaching 1/4 wave, one could reasonably expect free
space performance out of a ground plane antenna if the feedline is
properly decoupled.  N7CL's work is well worth reading ... it was
done for the military (if I recall correctly) and his summaries on
the reflector was the highlights of a very large study.

The real "take away" of Eric's work is to validate work by W8JI,
ON4UN and others that elevated radials at low heights (certainly
less than 1/8 wave) require a good in or on ground system for
best performance.  For example, ON4UN used a single elevated radial
on each verticals in one of his early 80 meter 4-square arrays but
that array sat directly over his 160 meter ground system which
consisted of 250 radials from 65 to 200 feet long.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV