Topband: Top band antenna

To: armin.ficza@nokia.com
Subject: Topband: Top band antenna
From: F3WT <ars.f3wt@wanadoo.fr>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 21:50:17 +0200
Hi all,
Dear Armin,

1Â I made an 80M LP qso with a vertical Delta-loop "toploaded " with
a deep " "Lecher-feeder" short circuited" at the bottom d .

In addition, there is dipole a'bc', whose ends are cross-connected to
c-b ( a to c' and a' to c) in the horizontal plane . Those wires are
not drawn ( too cumbersome in an e-mail). Feed is  feed at b with a
symetricall tuner.
In theory, can be fed  anywhere, at a, b,c, but also d.
The whole thing is oriented north-south here, works well into VK/ZL
on LP , the americas as well as east-bound, not ok  for North-South
though
Dimensions: ac:  â30M ; ab: â10M; top to base : â12M; ac is up
â 10M . Point a is a chemney, c: a tree 10M up  anc b is a roof
window at my shack. The thing radiates "broadside". If you manage to
tune at d ( with another tuner or an LC arrangement)  such as top is
a short circuit, the thing radiates broadside on 40M as well. Well...
they actually are many radiation patterns one can achieve depending
on the feed-point , even " end-of-fire " lobes. Its worth simulating
with Roy Lewallen, W7EL, EZNEC.
  It looks like an XJK antenna  or a 40 years old  W8JK antenna of
Dr. Kraus described in most  Antennabooks. Ity is also better known
now as HB9CV . It is somehow similar to a  2-el-quad  set-up as a
Swiss-quad or better a Quagy (Quad/yagi), well.. more generally a
"Loopagy", hi! where two elements are  both fed at  out of phase
( 180Â or other).

This antenna did also work on 160M , still with a coupler, but  less
efficient than on 80M and 40M.

                               /I  I\
                            /   I  I    \
                         /      I  I        \
                      /         I  I            \
                   /            I  I                \
                /               I  I                    \
             /                  I  I                        \
          /                     I  I                            \
       /                        I_I                                \
    /                            d                                     \
/
   \

_________________________________
a'
b                                          c'

2Â I am also considering replacing the loop by a fractal loop. ( see
http://www.hbci.com/~wenonah/cfa/fractal.htm  or other via google).
The mechanics is a challenge for top-band.

3Â Another nice antenna is an helicoÃdal vertical Cu-tape-wrapped on
a fiberpole top-loaded as well ,  already referred to in this reflector.
I experienced one on 80M successfully.

But I sort of specialized a little bit in loop antennas and prefer
them...

Hope to have helped you a little.

73.
Pierre.