Re: Topband: On Using RG-6 Coaxial Cable...

To: "Ford Peterson" <ford@cmgate.com>,"Ed Swynar" <gswynar@durham.net>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: On Using RG-6 Coaxial Cable...
From: "Milt, N5IA" <n5ia@zia-connection.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 07:26:52 -0700
From: "Ford Peterson" <ford@cmgate.com>
To: "Ed Swynar" <gswynar@durham.net>; <topband@contesting.com>
Sent: Wednesday, September 13, 2006 7:46 PM

 ...snip...

> RG6 that I have used is a double shielded (aluminum) flooded cable.   The
> aluminum braid is > quite whispy--maybe 40%-50% coverage aluminum braid
> over foil?

The cable is normally purchased in two varieties, 60% braid and 90% braid.

> The center dialectric and braid is covered with the goopiest sticky ooz
> you will find--I cannot  > imagine 'connecting' mechanically to the
> aluminum braid or 'gluing' anything.

Only if it is the "Flooded" variety.  The cable can be purchased as normal
drop cable, or with the flooding for underground, direct burial,
applications.

With the two options mentioned above, and some other common options for the
CATV industry, a single type of cable, either RG-59 or RG-6 can be purchased
in perhaps 10 different variations.

Milt, N5IA

BTW, I have used RG-59, RG-6, .410, and 1/2" varieties of CATV cable
extensively for Beverage fields I have constructed.  For the XZ0A DXpedition
we deployed more than 6,000' of RG-6, purchased in Bangkok, for the RX
antenna feedlines to the low band stations.  The results speak for
themselves.

N5IA