Topband: Beverage question

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Beverage question
From: Jack/NA7RF <vhfplus@bmg50.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2006 06:33:53 -0700
Good day, all:

I am putting up at least two short (290 foot) Beverage antennas and have
a question about orientation...

One will be for JA/South America at 300/120 degrees, which is not a
problem. The other will be for EU/ZL (maybe) and there is where I have
some concern. If I orient the EU/ZL Beverage at 030/180 degrees that
puts me right in the middle of the auroral oval toward EU, even at
activity minima. Is there a better orientation for that Beverage from
the Reno, Nevada, area?

I have had time, during a hospital stay the past couple of days, to
peruse ON4UN's "Low Band DX'ing" and have read about skew paths, which
is the reason I ask about better alternative directions. My property
dimensions (roughly 500x300 feet available for antennas with the long
dimension oriented east/west) are such that any multiple Beverage
installation will require some crossing of the antennas so the number
and directions of the Beverages will likely be limited, to a certain extent.

I already have a 580 foot Beverage at 75/255 degrees which was put up
primarily to work 160 WAS last year, which I accomplished. Any
suggestions about orientation on the proposed antennas, with or without
the existing Beverage?

Thanks, in advance,

Jack, NA7RF (ex AE7DX)