Re: Topband: Telescoping Fiberglass Mast

To: "'Topband'" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Telescoping Fiberglass Mast
From: Björn Mohr <bm@broadcast.se>
Date: Sat, 9 Dec 2006 12:41:13 +0100
In a message dated 12/8/2006 5:09:16 PM Eastern Standard Time,
dick-bingham@hughes.net writes:

>> But for a straight-up vertical  support - a base loaded 60 ft monopole
(maybe someone could manage to avoid the  top section drooping with a clever
arrange of  T configuration top loading  wires acting as guys) these are
fine even for longer term use. <<

I use the Spiderbeam 18m/60ft pole as base for a top loaded vertical. With
this pole top guying is best done 2 sections down on around 15 meters.
That's where I have my 3-wire hat attached using 1mm CU that also acts as
guy wires. With a pole like this you also have to clamp each section,
otherwise the pole will collapse.

For me it works nice, I was just outside checking the antenna as the wind is
pretty strong and it looked OK with the two upper parts bending in the wind
but the rest of the pole being pretty stable. For a temporary or portable
installation I would definitely recommend this set-up.

73 de Björn /SM0MDG