Topband: This morning on 160 meters

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: This morning on 160 meters
From: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 10:50:50 -0500
HP3XUG wrote:

 >Maybe you should work on the RX capabilities of your station - you
might be quite surprised, and pleasantly so, at what you will hear.

         Very true Louis...just because I can't hear DX doesn't
mean it's not there.  This reminds me of the W5 group that
camped out on 1823 LSB years ago.  When asked to QSY because
they were QRMing CW DX stations, they replied "What DX?...I don't
hear anything."  W8*** is a more recent example.  Unfortunately
the same is true for many contest stations on both sides of the
Atlantic that mainly work other intra-continental (i.e. not
inter-continental) stations.  This is one reason the ARRL DX
is one of my favorite contests (i.e. guys on both sides of the
Atlantic are actually trying to hear each other!)

                                 73,  Bill  W4ZV