Re: Topband: finding buried radials

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: finding buried radials
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 22:56:36 -0400
>> ... don't want to accidentally cut the wires while
>> digging. What's the
>> best way to locate them? Cheap metal detector?

I've been successful using a small transistor radio taped to
a stick on small ground systems. I tuned the radio to a very
weak AM station and the volume increased as the loopstick
antenna passed the radials.

A metal detector works well for coax, but not something as
small as a radial. I have a metal detector I use all the
time to find coaxial cables.

I have also been successful using a MFJ-259 as a signal
source and following cables with a receiver and loop
antenna. As a matter of fact I had a bad laundry drain and
had no idea where the plastic pipe went once it was through
the wall. I fed a metal snake down the pipe and  connected
it to the 259. I used a small SW receiver to follow the
pipe! I don't think this would work well for radials unless
you just fed one radial at a time, but it sure works for a
single wire or coax if you feed the shield with the MFJ 259
center and connect the 259 case to a ground or counterpoise.

73 Tom